From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:18:38 -0800
On 16 Jan 2003, at 22:04, Kristie Partridge wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my computers display settings.  It has reset
> itself to 16 colors, and will not accept a change to anything else.  When
> I went into the settings and clicked the ADVANCED button.  Here if I click
> on Adapters or Monitor tabs at the top I get the following error message.
>
> Rundll32 has caused an error in DESKCP16.DLL.  Rundll32 will now close.
>
> What can I do to fix this problem, everything looks awful in 16 colors.

  Your video driver is corrupted.  The driver provides two sets of functions:

1.  It tells Windows how to do more than 640x480 and 16 colours.

2.  It provides access to additional configuration features through the
control panel (and other ways of getting to the display settings).

  Since you're going to need to use the display settings control panel to
reinstall the driver, you're first going to have to tell Windows to stop
trying to load the old one.  I believe you can do this by booting to safe
mode, going to the display properties, and picking the "Standard VGA"
driver.  Then reboot to the normal mode, and reinstall the driver.

  NOTE:

1.  Make sure that the driver you install is being copied from a CD, or
folder -- somewhere other than the corrupted copy already in Windows.

2.  Since you need to do a driver install anyway, and expecially if you
can't find the original CD, this might be a good opportunity to download the
latest driver version from the manufacturer's web site.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com