From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:55:18 -0800
I just did one with the home version.  Sorta.  Actually, it was upgraded to
XP from 98SE first, but it had so many issues with the desktop crashing (I'm
assuming left-overs from the same exact problem the system was having in
Windows 98SE) that I thought it best to rebuild it.  I thought I was going
to have to put the 98SE CD in at some point, but never had to.  I did delete
the partitions and repartition into one drive (the 30GB drive had been
partitioned into two drives previously) before starting the install.
However, I could not activate XP on-line.  I had to call Microsoft for that.

As a side note, I was pleasantly surprised by the courteous and professional
individual I talked to at their 1-866 activation call center.  She did ask
questions about why I had to call for the activation, but was satisfied with
the rebuild answer and quickly gave me a new activation code, as God-awful
long as it was.

Good luck!

Kyle Elmblade
Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has
been shut off until further notice.