From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:53:21 -0500
It's not a bad article, but it starts out with a 'demand' that immediately
sets it up to fail:

'Somewhere in the fog of conflicting prescriptions,
is there a diet that’s both safe and palatable,
a diet that can control weight and promote health
without denying us the pleasure of food?'

Some of these are objective (safe, promoting health), but palatability and
allowing us to enjoy the pleasure of food are culture, ethnic, class and
time specific as well as being subject to individual preferences and whims
within our cultural, ethnic, class and historical contexts.

If they want it all and they want it now and are not prepared to concede
some of the latter to achieve the former, they'll never make progress.
They have put a journalist on the case so, I suppose - as usual - the
article is written to interest the readers without disturbing them.  Ho hum!

(See my post of 29 January on 'Glacial melt turns up treasures' for more.)

Keith