From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:51:33 +1000
>So you are saying that when animals were out of season >paleo man did not
hunt them and instead adopted a vegan diet. >Somehow I find that a little
hard to believe.

ive answered this in the reply to Theola. sorry i thought you had some basic
knowledge of anthropology.

>I assert that paleo man hunted whenever they were hungry and >made the best
use of whatever game they could bring down.
a fair assumption. thats why they moved around to get the best game.

>I'm sorry? Who said "large"? Oh, that was you trying to build a >straw man.
no a genuine mistake. i have no idea about small game. being small, they
wont affect the overall profile as much as big game. make sense? so whats
the typical profile of  big game?

>You might like to do a little research and report back on the fat
>profile of squirrel, opossum and other small mammals which >are easily
hunted and trapped. While you're looking, perhaps >you can find out the fat
profile of bear. Remember to include all >organ meats which are much less
saturated than flesh and >adipose fats.
all worthwhile projects. deer will be interesting also. are u going to do
anything?

>You are assuming that wild animals eat and eat and eat until >they are as
obese as domestic animals and modern humans.
let's stick to kidney fat, and the fat around the heart. why are they so
saturated? because the organs use SFAs as energy. it is their preferred
source. no mystery or fluke. the same in wild game as in domstic. if they
dont have fat at these areas the animal will be dead.
so do we eat it or not? paleo man ate it....

you still have not answered the question: should we eat marrow fat?

>Perhaps wild animals only eat as much as they need to survive >and to build
some fat reserves for lean times, but stop eating >while they are still lean
enough to escape predators.
no idea.

>So, if they aren't consuming "excess starches" then they won't >be
converting them to SFA and their carcass will be less >saturated than modern
farmed animals.
we need specific figures of the fat ratios of the different kinds of fat in
variosu wild animals. not a small task. you do some research and i'll do
some. maybe Canola Ken will do some too.

>Assuming for a second that paleo man aimed for a balanced >fat:protein
caloric ratio, by eating such mince you would be >consuming SFA:MUFA:PUFA in
a ratio of about 10:10:1.
i wasnt suggesting only meat. put it together with an equal amount of
salmon.
proportions would be 12:16:3.  that's roughly 4:5:1. how's that?

andrew