C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:15:12 -0700
Hi Mike,

I'm also not sure what you mean by "intimate relationships", but here's my
story.

I'm 39 with significant quad CP and I recently married an "able-bodied" guy.
I use attendants for most of my personal care. Steve fills in occasionally
for my short night routine when someone can't show or we want a late night
out, with eating dinner and some bathrooming on weekends, and with eating
and/or bathrooming when we are out and about. In turn, I take more
responsibility for laundry, grocery shopping, etc.. Basically, though, I
handle most of my care on my own through my attendants and I (we) have found
this to be important to the health of our relationship. If I rely on him too
much, it exhausts him and I begin to feel like less than an equal partner.
Our whole dynamic changes from normal husband/wife stuff to
care-giver/recipient. Yuk!

As Kat said, good communication is the key to negotiating a relationship
when a disability is involved. It has taken time and open discussion for me
and Steve to figure out when it works for him to assist me and ways I can
contribute also. And, of course, communication is also key in the physical
side of our relationship - with a good doses of creativity and humor thrown
in. ;)  Once a good relationship is established, this, in some ways, is the
easy part.

Pam