C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:16:57 -0400
Well the officials told us we could go anywhere and do anything we wanted to
do, then they planned an itinerary that would keep us busy. They would tell
you things that were technically true bot not tell you the complete story.
The were always people watching us. However I mat a man  who was from the
core group from dayston ohio, retired military. We would meet the busses at
the determined place, but walk past the loading busses and drop right into
the subway. We'd ride a few stops and come up. Then armed with a bag full of
gum, candy, yes, ladies, nylons, lipstick, other assorted make up, we would
meet real russians. You could not just walk up and say "do you speak english
(every one who was middle age and down did speak englist) you had to do
something that made them know you were not secret police. They were afraid
of their government. Now the russians for not having much, did have some of
the best ice cream you'll find. We'd walk in to a little restaurant, hungry
or not, look around, find someone eating ice cream and approach them, "
excuse me, that ice cream looks so good, but, I do not know how to order it,
my friemd and I do not speak rushian, could you tell me how to order some?"
worked every time. Poor old doumb westerners needs help. They'd aways help
and we'd end up at their table doing what we were there for making friends.
If there were no ice cream eayers, then we'd pick someone ewating some kind
of pastryt and "that reallyt looks good, I'd really like to know how to
order some...." you know  they were taught that a russian had built an
airplane before kitty hawk? American government was stealing all there
inventions. We were very frank in our discussions we told the truth about
the crime rate and the slums when ask, but the we pointed out the good about
america. We also pointed out the good and bad about ussr. We would give the
somethng from our bag and others would come up. Our new friend would 90 % of
the time give us something they had on them, I still have these things
packed away in "ken's treasures." I'd like to go back to finland and russia
in the summer instead of winner.