From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:53:52 -0000
Hi John,

Here is the text from the former post.

Hi All,

I want first to thank all of you who answered my inquiry the other day on
accessible cell phones.  Based on that information partly and also on cost
of getting a new phone on the Verizon web site I ended up with the Motorola
V-120.  It turns out this is a great choice.  No, like most phones, it's not
totally accessible; but, it is much more than my old Kiosera.

First, it has tonal alerts that help give you clues to what is going on for
basic operations.  For example, when you turn it on, you hear a series of
ascending tones and likewise a series of descending tones when you turn it
off.  When you hit send, you hear two tones rising and when you hit end you
hear two tones descending.

Here's the best part.  This thing has voice recording features.  First, when
you make a phone book entry, you are given the option of putting a voice tag
with it.  You need help the first time to learn the sequences and perhaps a
few times after if you are getting old like me but you can find the place in
the book to make a new entry simply by arrowing down through your phone
book.  If you have made the voice tags you can hear them read as you arrow
up or down.  You can then press send to call that party.  Or, you can assign
a rapid dial key to the first nine entries.  So, if I want to call my wife
at work I simply press 2 until I hear a two tone confirmation at which time
it is calling her.  While on the subject of voice notes, you can make them.
You can record information you want to remember just with the press of a
button on the side of the phone and then retrieve them at your leisure.  You
can also record a call or part of it by pressing this button.  Imagine how
nice this would be if someone is giving you a phone number or a confirmation
number and you can just press the button and record it for later retrieval
while you are riding in a car or on a bus.

Finally, you can build short cuts to various things.  For example, I have
menu plus 1 assigned to ring styles so I can choose vibrate in a meeting and
then go back to ringing after it is over and I have menu plus 2 assigned to
my voice notes.  You can also set up voice recognition for these shortcuts
so all you have to say is the label you assigned to it and it will go there.

All in all, while this isn't the most accessible phone there might be out
there, it is certainly fun to use and has some blind friendly features.
And, for $29.95 to upgrade to it, it's a good deal.  My xyl liked mine so
much she went and got one too.  <GRIN>

Take care all and very 73.

Kevin, K7RX :)