NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:17:13 -0400
From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
On 3/21/07, Mike Coons <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So, I've been Lactose Intolerant for 15 years (I'm 38 now), but just a
> month or so ago, I
> developed an allergy to Soy… I've been managing it with diet and I'll be
> seeing my Dr. soon.  My
> Lactose Intolerance was digestive, but this new sensitivity is a sore
> throat and itchiness in the
> throat which is a bit more disconcerting, so now my milk intolerance is
> the lesser of two evils!
> I've always been a label reader, but now I'm even more conscientious…soy
> lecithin is in
> everything! I haven't tried soy sauce yet, but I know that I get a
> reaction from soybean oil, and
> who would have thought that Mountain Dew has Brominated Vegetable Oil,
> which (no surprise) is
> soybean oil.  I'm off wheat right now, just because there is soy in most
> breads, but I'll probably
> start baking my own bread here pretty soon.
>
> Just needed to vent a bit, and see if anyone else was in a similar
> situation.

Talk to your doctor first, of course, but many people with soy allergies can
tolerate soybean oil and soy lecithin.  A "classic" allergy is a protein
reaction, and lecithin and oil are fat-based products.

You may find the following pages useful:
http://foodallergy.org/allergens/soy.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_allergy

Good luck!
--Robyn