NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bryan Tortolani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:46:56 -0800
Hi List, Please help we, my doctor is worthless!!!

As a cancer survivor my body has endured radiation & chemotherapy, a bone
marrow transplant, and over twenty surgeries.  I am only 36-years-old yet I
have many health problems; among them are lactose and gluten intolerances.

Five years ago I began getting extremely sick with cramping, fatigue, and
diarrhea.  The doctor siad it was due to my past cancer treatments, and I
continued to suffer until my wife discovered that I have an intolerance to
lactose.   During all that time I suffered from anemia and ear troubles.
With the slightest physical activity my ears began to feel as though they
were clogged and under great pressure, similar to the effects one
experiences when subject to a rapid change in altitude.

Upon hearing my wife's diagnosis the doctor said that it is very common for
patients who have undergone bone marrow translates to become lactose
intolerant. I said, "oh sure, great doc, now you tell me. Thanks to this God
forsaken condition I have suffered both physically and psychologically.
Besides the discomfort I might as well have been sentenced to one year of
Home Detention, and instead of an ankle bracelet I am guarded by an
inability to venture more than a few hundred feet from my toilet!"

Although my symptoms greatly improved after I cut out all dairy products I
was still getting quite ill.  Again the doctor attributed my symptoms to
past treatments and again my wife suggested a diet change.  We discovered
that I am gluten and wheat intolerant and have all the symptoms of Celiac
Spru.  Celiac causes gluten intolerance and when untreated other
intolerances often arise, especially lactose.  My doctor tested me for
celiac, which involves a biopsy of the small intestine, and the results were
negative.  My wife and I have had a hard time trusting my doctor, which
prompted us to do a little research and we discovered that it is important
that the patent does not alter his or her diet prior to the biopsy or the
test will be inconclussive.  Does anyone know if this is true?  If so, where
might I find some written documentation that I might show my doctor?  (We
were unable to print the initial report my wife discovered on the subject
due to printer problems at the time and we cannot relocate the article.)

My next question is does anyone else experience fatigue or ear problems
similar to those I described above with lactose intolerance? What about bone
pain and joint pain, can that be related to food intolerances?

Thanks,

Bryan