Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
George Fanjoy VE3PEB <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 11:23:03 -0500
I was asked for an update on the activities of the Canadian
National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) Amateur Radio
Program.

The Program is alive and well with the major change being
the hiring of a full time manager Randy Nelson VE3WRN. By
all means write him at [log in to unmask] . He or I would
be delighted to answer any questions or just hear you say
hello.

We have 463 blind and visually umpired Radio Amateurs
registered with us from all across Canada. For those of you
with memories much better than mine you may recall we talked
of about 550 registrants a couple of years ago. We cleaned
up our data base and found a whole bunch of SKs and lost
souls.

We are sponsored by the CNIB but manage and finance our own
activities. It does keep us out of mischief.

Our largest challenge is to find thus blind and visually
impaired who our hobby could help. This involves
communication with each CNIB office, about 65 of them. This
is no easy task. We also talk  to some 700 Amateur Clubs and
Associations on the same issue.

In summary we:

Have training material in Braille, audio tape, large print
and computerese.

Train or arrange trainers

Test the blind with a test tailored for them. The licensing
authorities accept our test.

Supply the Kenwood TS-570DG with speech at good prices
either on direct purchase, six year lease and for those
without funds on a free loan basis. Sorry about that Canada
only.

Supply newsletters and Amateur magazines on two track audio
tape

Act for the blind Amateurs with the manufacturers and the
federal licensing authorities.

Provide all the technical and financial help that we can.

Maintain an office and an Amateur station VE3NIB/VE3AW in
Toronto. The station was installed as a manorial to our
founders in the mid 19802. The HF station is operable
remotely via the  telephone.

Accept donations of cash and used equipment. The equipment
we check, sell and use the money.

I have supplied many operating manuals to Amateurs both
sighted and blind. If they are of use and you feel a
donation is appropriate or if you fell you wish to donate to
us please feel free. Make check out to the CNIB Amateur
Radio Program and mail to:
    Manager CNIB Amateurs Radio Program
    1929 Bayview Ave.,
    Toronto, ON.,
    M4G 3E8
We do issue Canadian income tax receipts of limited use
outside Canada.

George Fanjoy  VE3PEB
Chairman CNIB Amateur Radio Program
TORONTO, ON  416 207 0797