AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 20:07:17 -0500
From:
Adelaide Fiske <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
"AAM (African Association of Madison)" <[log in to unmask]>
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

We seem to be on the same page. At this juncture I'll put in my two cents in with this analogy. Having grown up in a part of the world which the monkeys claims as their habitat we can draw from the wisdom passed down to us. When comfronted with a dire situation the elders remind us of this parable to help put a possible /probable solution into some prospective. This parable is as follows:  "Hunger makes monkey eat pepper" The monkey's taste buds have a strong affinity for sweet, but when confronted with a life or death, the choice in favor of pepper will be made to preserve life  until it can see itself in a better condition.   We can look at the stick dealt us and hold our bearing with its less thorny portion to help us find our way.

Adelaide

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/23/03 09:21AM >>>
I know how Taylor got to power.  That is why my original question still
stands.  Look at America's pattern.  Whenever America interferes in the
government of a country, for whatever reason, 5-10 years later, when the
person America chooses to run that country proves themselves to be
intolerable by the populace, or the world,  America then is called to fix
the mess that they have created.  When a country has a history of
destructive behavior,  you limit their sphere of influence as much as
possible.  If America caused this problem (inasmuch as you can blame her
for Charles Taylor's own choices and actions), why expect her to be able to
fix it?  Has America ever fixed a nation's governmental problems in a
manner satisfactory for all sides?  No.  They pick someone who seems at the
time to be the best choice, and 10 years later, they've got a murdering,
weapon-hoarding dictator on their hands.  This is America's pattern in
countless countries.  Performing the same actions and expecting a different
outcome is insanity.  The rest of the world needs to step in, send UN
peacekeeping forces (that are not 99% American forces), and let the
surrounding nations in Africa decide who they'd like to live next to, since
they are the people immediately impacted by the choice.