AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"AAM (African Association of Madison)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 17:01:12 -0600
Sunday, 5 January, 2003, 11:55 GMT- BBC Sports
Police investigate Kuffour tragedy

Police in Ghana have opened an investigation into the death of
international defender Samuel Osei Kuffour's daughter.

The 15-month-old baby, named Godiva, drowned in a swimming pool at the
Bayern Munich player's house in Accra on Friday.

Police say they will carry out an autopsy as part of their inquiries.

" "God gives and he takes. I am grateful for whatever has happened. The
Lord knows best" "
Sammy Kuffour

Kuffour's cousin, Nana Bonsu, was at the house when the tragedy
happened.

He said the family was packing in readiness for a trip to Kuffour's home
city of Kumasi when the child walked out unnoticed.

He believes the little girl was attracted by balloons floating on the
water, and fell in as she tried to grab them.

A distraught Kuffour arrived back in Ghana just hours after having
returned to Bayern to restart training following the winter break.

The German club chartered a plane to get him home as quickly as
possible.

The player has been drawing on his deep religious belief to help him
deal with the tragedy.

He said: "God gives and he takes. I am grateful for whatever has
happened. The Lord knows best".

He described Godiva as his "little gorgeous", and said her memory would
forever remain in his heart .

"It's a calamity - my baby was such a lovely girl who always gave me joy
and happiness", he said.

"But I pray by the grace of God I should be able to overcome it and face
the future with a renewed vigour and strength."

Kuffour said he would draw strength from the experience of Senegal
captain Aliou Cisse at Birmingham City, who lost 14 relatives in the
Joola ferry disaster last year.