EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:16:08 -0500
Hello EASI Colleagues,

In recent versions of Word, it is possible to enter a text description for an image embedded in a document. The reason for this, I guess, is that the description becomes the Alt tag if the document is exported to html. (I have not tested this.)

I have observed that the descriptions do not automatically read when I use Jaws to check a Word document. Is there a way to do this? Do other screen readers detect the text associated with an image?

To get to the text description, select the image, right click on it or press Shift + F10 (or the Application key). Choose Format Picture from the menu. Navigate to the Web tab, and enter the Alternative Text in the edit box.

Alan

Alan Cantor
Project Manager
Strategic e-Government Implementation