Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:48:19 -0600

I had asked if seeing the ingrediant 'Brown Rice Syrup' in an item would
mean it wasn't gf.  The answers were mixed.

Thanks so much for all of the input, your help is greatly appreciated!
Hope you all had a Happy Valentine's Day!
Robin
MN (please see below)

Here are some of the answers -

Lundberg now makes a gf brown rice syrup and that is what they use in
their ricecakes, however, many (most?) are not, and I would agree that
checking each product with the manufacturer is a good idea. Ditto malt.
************
Some brown rice syrups are made with barley malt extracts and some are
not, so I research the source of the brown rice syrup if I want to
consume the item.  Lundberg Farms brown rice syrup is gluten free and is
the one I use at home.

I avoid all malt syrup as that is usually barley based unless it states
corn malt syrup.  Then I suspect barley extracts to start the malting
process as barley is the usual source for malting enzymes
************
brown rice syrup is ok, but the malt obviously isn't.

There was an issue a while back with Rice Dream beverage in the blue box
that said or implied that a barley enzyme was used to process the rice
syrup, so that may be what you saw.  We've never had trouble with other
rice syrups.
***********
Good eye and memory. You are correct as far as I know, brown rice syrup
can be made from barley. The Guidelines For a Gluten-Free Lifestyle, 3rd
Edition - June 2002, published by the Celiac Disease Foundation
www.celiac.org and the various cookbook/ reference books which I have
state this also.  I do understand from what I've read though that
certain GF friendly products like 'Lundberg' do not use barley so that
when they include brown rice syrup it is from gluten free sources.

Malt syrup can be from barley or GF sources as well.  When any product
lists these ingredients without indicating the source from which they
are derived you are doing the right thing in avoiding them.  Each one
may warrant contact with the manufacturer asking what the 'source' is,
however.  IF the manufacturer is a gluten-free one like EnerG Foods or
Gluten Free Pantry then of course the source would be gluten free.  IF
either is listed as an ingredient on a 'mainstream' food package then
you do need to question.
************
You are absolutely right re: brown rice syrup...some contain barley
malt. The one brand I KNOW is GF is Lundberg Brown Rice Syrup available
in Bread & Circus / Whole Foods stores.
************
Definitely stay away from malt syrup but I've never heard of brown rice
syrup being a problem.
**********
Rice syrup may have malt in it.  It used to be(10-15 years ago) that all
rice syrup had malt in it.  Lately, I have seen a couple things that
said their rice syrup didnot have malt.  This was true whether it was
'white' or brown.
**********
Brown rice syrup should only be a problem if the manufacturing process
introduces gluten from one of the other grains--since rice is okay, and
the
syrup is an extract of the sugars in the rice.

Malting is a process. It involves sprouting a grain and then extracting
the
sugars. Malt syrup, otherwise unspecified, is barley malt and therefore
be avoiding. If the malt is from an okay grain (as is the brown rice
syrup), you'd have to find out about the processing--is it made on
dedicated equipment, if not, is the equipment cleaned between runs, etc.

All the usual stuff.
***************
I thought they were both off limits, but a little research has
shown that once again, "some brown rice syrups" are a problem. We're
back to the old standby -- call the manufacturer to be sure. When you
find out, if the packaging is incorrect, it may be a good idea to inform
someone. I discovered a product a couple of weeks ago that had gluten
free right on the label. After I had eaten it, I also discovered brown
rice syrup was one of the ingredients...I waited for the usual symptoms
and nothing happened, so I was lucky. We just can't take anything for
granted though. I'm back to reading labels no matter what!
Malt syrup is definitely out.  99% of the time it is made of barley
malt.
The 1% is corn malt (have seen just once, in Lea & Perrin Worcestershire
sauce made in USA.  the one made in England and distributed in Canada is
made from barley so not GF)

For the rice syrup, one has to call the company.