From:
Karla Ainsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karla Ainsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:15:21 -0600

Thanks to all that sent replys here are some of the replys I recieved. There are some warnings with this product so make she you know the warnings before you start taking anything.
Karla

I use Enzymatic Therapy's DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) -- the
fructose free/sugarless kind Chew 2 tablets before meals/snacks. It
really works well! I was having some reflux. Now I don't have it, but
whenever I start to feel like I might get it back again I take these
tablets before eating.

I also use Thayer's slippery elm throat lozenges when I start getting
phlegm (related to reflux). That helps a lot too.
At the time I was diagnosed (4 months ago) with celiac disease I had
reflux. My doctor put me on Nexium, which I later found out is not GF.
When the 3-month prescription ended 3 weeks ago I got the reflux back,
but then I found these supplements. I'm pleased with how things are
going. I think I can manage the situation on my own, using them. I hope
I am right. I'll be interested in reading your summary of responses.
I have used Licorice for (adrenal) exhaustion. I used the Scientific
Botanicals brand (out of Seattle) purchased through a naturopath. It is
a really great product!

I believe licorice is a laxative - purchase in any health food store

I use a product my Metagenics, called Glutagenics. It has L-Glutamine, aloe
vera and licorice. I have been doing great with this product.

Altho I have not used licorse I also purchased the book several years
ago to help healing with another condition. Did what it said and got
better very fast. Have used it and referred others to it many times -
seems to help all!

Most of what is sold as licorice in this country...isn't....it's either fennel or
anise flavoring

You can buy licorice root in a health food store. You can make it into a tea
which,as a natural expectorant, is good for bronchitis and chest congestion BUT is
is a major no-no for people who have had rheumatic heart problems or high blood
pressure. Too much of it causes diarrhea. I've taken several herb courses at NYU
and this warned against several times. Riccola [yellow pkgs] contains a small amt
of licorice to break up congestion. But please remember that it is a medicine..not
a candy

Have to be careful what kind you get. The natural form raises blood pressure
and could be a problem for those whose is already high.
Are you planning to use licorice for celiac disease? I have never used it for that purpose but have used it for stomach ulcers and inflammatory arthritis. It does have antiinflammatory , antiviral, and antiallergic properties and is good for soothing peptic ulcers, bladder ailments, and kidney ailments. It has been proven to help with arthritis due to inflammation.

How it works is due to the stimulation of the production of two steroids, cortisone and aldosterone. Cautions about using licorice are high blood pressure - increasing the production of aldosterone can result in a rise in blood pressure and can also deplete your body of potassium which is extremely dangerous.

For women suffering from PMS, using licorice during this time can cause complications due to water retention or bloating.

If you have no blood pressure of PMS problems - I would recommend trying it for awhile to see if it is helpful. The antiinflammatory ability of licorice could have beneficial results. As a nutritionist, I use an antiinflammatory diet to decrease the inflammation and have been having great results.

Hope this is helpful.

Debbie Lee, A.S.
Nutritionist

I used DGL- a processed licorice tablet for nausea for quite a while.
That was the only thing that worked. It is supposed to be more useful
for ulcers than the pharmaceutical meds. I have used Enzumatic Therapy
brand. The other one I tried is mint flavored and I did not like that
one.

I would be careful about taking the herb in quantity. It still contains
the aldosterone properties that can land you in the hospital in crisis
mode. (Info from Varro Tyler's book "The Honest Herbal")