From:
barbara lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
barbara lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 06:32:46 -0800

There is a recipe in Bette Hagman's "More from the Gluten Free Gourmet" for "Dream Pastry". I had to give up my mother's old pie crust recipe when I was diagnosed with CD. A wondeful woman affiliated with our local support group helped me make pie crusts for Thanksgiving. I was amazed to find the taste and texture every bit as good as Ma's. We made many, left them right in the pie plates and sealed in freezer bags to pull out as needed. Now when I start feeling deprived, I make myself a pie, usually pecan.

The secret: GF pie crust wants to fall apart. Diane taught me to roll on cloth with a cloth-covered rolling pin. We then flipped, or almost threw the crust over the pie plate. My aim is not too good, so next time I plan to roll the dough on the fabric, slide it over an upside-down pie plate, top that with an identical plate and invert. Works in my mind. Reality is yet to be tested. For the top crust of my apple pie, I simply used one that was frozen in the pie plate, lossened the edges, put it on top of the apples and removed the plate. Worked beautifully. The best part of this crust is that it is very patchable. If you get a hole, take a piece of crust from the overhang and ptch it up. Less gorgeous, but the taste makes up for it and practice will make perfect, I'm sure.

I have only been gluten free for 6 weeks now, and I have to say Thank You All for sharing with me through this forum. I'm still nervous about working with listservers, etc., but I look forward to reading and learning a little bit every day. Every new thing you tell me I can eat is a precious gift to me. Thanks.

Barbara