From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:51:02 -0500

GIG is gearing up to do Advocacy work in Washington, DC in March. We
participate in two advocacy efforts in DC and invite you to join us.
When we are in DC, we are there, working with other organizations
wanting similar results from congress. Often our efforts focus on asking
that funding for NIH research continue to be supported and requesting
support for health care and patient rights initiatives. We also have a
chance to share information about our specific disease and how people
with this disease benefit from the measures we are asking them to
support. During each of the two advocacy efforts, participants learn how
to be effective as an advocate. Teamwork and everyone sending the same
message is vital.

March 10 and 11, 2003 - GIG will attend NIAMS Days. At this time, we
advocate for persons with dermatitis herpetiformis. We show the
connection to other diseases of the skin or conditions associated with
the National Institutes for Arthritis, Muscular and Skin diseases.

March 23 and 24, 2003 representatives from CDF, CSA, and Amer. Celiac
Society will join GIG for DDNC Public Policy Forum. Digestive Disease
National Coalition (DDNC) consists of organizations, professional groups
and industry with interest in digestive diseases. At this time, our
focus of information relates to celiac disease.

While there are no measures before congress that are specific to CD or
DH, it is important to add our voice to the others telling congress the
patient bill of rights, right to access of care and confidentiality,
etc., is important. As well, it is important that we have
representatives from as many states as possible. We team up with people
representing other diseases from our states. If we do not have a
representative, our story is not heard. Kids of all ages are welcome.

If you are interested in attending either of these advocacy efforts,
please send your name, phone and mailing contact information to
[log in to unmask] We will send you information that is more specific. We
also work with the organizers to assure GF meals are offered as part of
the program.

I hope to see you in Washington, DC in March.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director
Gluten Intolerance Group
206-246-6652