From:
Emily Low <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emily Low <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:40:55 -0500

Well, I thought maybe the reason why I got such mixed results searching the
internet and archives was because the info was outdated, but it seems that
folks just have varying opinions.

Most say that annatto is most definitely OK, and if it comes from the little
achoite seed, I am sure that it is.

Caramel coloring is just about always made from corn, so should be fine.

And, for those of us who are new, many suggested looking at the
www.celiac.com list at the bottom of the page on safe/not safe products.

Here are some responses:

This is from celiac.com regarding caramel coloring:
"If this ingredient is made in North America it is likely to be gluten-free"

(the word "likely" might make some people want to phone the company to be
sure.)
...and annato is on their 'safe' list.

it says Annatto coloring - it has alcohol in it and is NOT GF
If it just says Annatto it is OK because it is made with corn.

Carmel coloring is often made with corn and is OK, but you have to check
with the manufacturer to find out if it is made with corn or not.

CFR Title 21 Sec. 73.30 Annatto extract.
(a) Identity. (1) The color additive annatto extract is an extract prepared
from annatto seed, Bixa orellana L., using any one or an appropriate
combination of the food-grade extractants listed in paragraph (a)(1) (i)
and (ii) of this section: (i) Alkaline aqueous solution, alkaline propylene
glycol, ethyl alcohol or alkaline solutions thereof, edible vegetable oils
or fats, mono- and diglycerides from the glycerolysis of edible vegetable
oils or fats. The alkaline alcohol or aqueous extracts may be treated with
food- grade acids to precipitate annatto pigments, which are separated from
the liquid and dried, with or without intermediate recrystallization, using
the solvents listed under paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this section. Food-grade
alkalis or carbonates may be added to adjust alkalinity. (ii) Acetone,
ethylene dichloride, hexane, isopropyl alcohol, methyl alcohol, methylene
chloride, trichloroethylene.

You need to subscribe to Gluten Free Living. They specialize in researching
ingredient issues like this. You are confused because there is a tremendous
amount
of misinformation out there based on opinion, rumor, and lack of
understanding of
basic science.

To answer your specific questions, both caramel coloring and annatto are GF.
Some
people obsess over them because they can theoretically contain or be made
from
glutenous stuff, but the fact is that they never are. No, not even in China
or
some other exotic home of the bogeyman.

First, let me say...brace yourself for what could be a barrage of
negative emails and contradicting ones also.  I can tell you that we stay
away from those things in our house.   My suggestion for you is to read the
research that is out there and make your own informed decision.  Best to
you.

There was a recent article in Gluten Free Living magazing that talks about
caramel coloring.  Apparently, if made in the US or Canada, it is made from
corn.  If the product is imported from somewhere else, I would check (but
supposedly corn makes the best product...).  As for annatto, I've never
avoided
it and have had subsequent negative biopsies and blood tests after having
intestinal damage and elevated IgA on diagnosis.  Some people avoid it, I'm
not
sure why.

Annatto is absolutely without question GF. No need to ask or worry about
it. Allegedly some people are sensitive to it, but that has nothing at all
to do with CD.

Caramel coloring is virtually always GF (some say it is always). I don't
worry about it.

Worry about natural flavors (but if it says something specific like
"natural lemon flavor," it must be made from lemons), artificial flavors,
modified food starch, food starch, starch in medications.

For a more complete list, go to www.celiac.com and scroll down until you
see the link to the safe and forbidden food and ingredient lists. Click on
it. Best thing to do is print these lists out and read carefully.

cheers

In researching information for the Celiac Section in the "Manual of
Clinical Dietetics" by the ADA and Dietitians of Canada, as well as my
book called "Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide", here is
a  quick summary about these ingredients:

Caramel color:
Can be made from sweeteners such as fructose, glucose, sucrose, and/or
starch hydrolysates and fractions therof. Although gluten-containing
ingredients [ malt syrup(barley) and starch hydrolysates ] can be used
in the production of caramel color, they are not used according to food
processors in North America. Corn is used most often, as it produces a
longer shelf life and a much better product.

Modified food starch:
Can be made from corn, tapioca, potato, wheat or other starches.
However, wheat and other gluten sources are rarely used in North America
for modified food starch. Corn is almost always the source, with potato,
tapioca or rice used occasionally.

Hydrolyzed Vegetable/Plant Proteins(HVP/HPP):
Most are made from corn, soy and/or wheat. In the USA, the Code of
Federal Regulations Sec. 102.22 requires the company to identify the
source of the protein from which the HVP/HPP is derived from. In Canada,
the Food & Drug Regulations B. 01.009 (1) #30  does not require the
company to
declare the source of the HVP/HPP. However, if the source of the HVP/HPP
is not declared on a label in the USA, the company is in violation of
the regulation. You must always contact the company to determine the
source of the HVP/HPP if it is not declared on the label.
Interestingly, in Canada, more companies are declaring the source of the
HVP/HPP even though it is not mandatory. This is due to the proposed new
labelling regulations called "Schedule of Ammendments No. 1220 -
Enhanced Labelling of Food Ingredients". Although these are not yet
official, Health Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency have
strongly encouraged voluntary labelling of the major food ingredients
known to cause allergies and sensitivities. 1220 states that companies
must always list the following foods and their products when they are
present in foods as ingredients or components of ingredients [cereal
grains containing gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, milk, eggs, soy,
sulphites, fish, crustaceans and shellfish]. Also, the plant source of
HVP/HPP, starches and modified starches must be included in the common
name in the list of ingredients.

I have spoke with hundreds of companies in North America about the
labelling of their ingredients. There is a trend towards improved
labelling due to all the consumer calls about food
sensitivities,including gluten, and the strong recommendations by
government to declare ingredients and their components if they contain
allergens. So keep up those calls to companies, requesting more detailed
labelling information. Also, get involved in the lobbying efforts by
celiac organizations and other groups to urge government agencies to
pass madatory labelling regulations for allergens, including gluten
sources!

Shelley Case, B. Sc., RD
Consulting Dietitian, Case Nutrition Consulting