From:
Andy Ryder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Ryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 23:08:51 -0500

I hope those of you who are interested in this subject are not tiring of =
reading all these instalments! I just felt that everyone who e-mailed me =
had something interesting and useful to impart and I wanted to share it. =
 I hope this will be the last one! (And it is!)..

Regards

Carole
"> Lactose is the sugar in milk.  An intolerance to it is because of a=20
> deficiency in lactase. the enzyme which digests it.
>=20
> Casein is the large protein in milk which forms curds.  Intolerance =
here=20
> is often due to an allergy."
"Casein is a milk protein, lactose is a milk sugar. I cannot =
tolerate casein but cannot have lactose in my pills as fillers even =
though I am not lactose intolerant.  There must be some of the casein =
protein in lactose. "
" Casein is a protein in milk. The casein protein is
> similar to the gluten protein, so many people who are
> Celiac also cannot take casein.  Intolerance to the
> casein protein, on the other hand, is like intolerance
> to gluten, in that the protein should be avoided
> lifelong.=20
>=20
> Lactose is a milk sugar.  It is broken down by an
> enzyme produced in cells at the tip of the villi in
> the small intestine.  People with CD are usually
> lactose intolerant, as that is the first area of the
> intestines to be destroyed by the immune system
> reaction to gluten.  The ability to digest lactose
> will return after the intestines have healed
> completely."
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
"I was just tested by Dr. Fine and found what I was suspected in the =
first place.  I am casein, milk protein intolerant.  That means, =
according to Dr. Fine that I cannot tolerate any dairy, not just =
lactose.  I must avoid all milk products for the rest of my life.  I =
understand that this will not go away with time, but it does not damage =
the villi like gluten.  I asked him if I could eat it occasionally, and =
his answer was: "You tell me."  He seemed to indicate that if the =
symptoms were mild, an occasional ingestion would not cause the problems =
that gluten does, but I suppose that eating things that act as an =
irritant to your system could not be good in the long run."
"my daughter has no problem with lactose, but is wildly=20
> casein intolerant.  She is also a celiac.  She also is intolerant to=20
> soy.  Most gastroenterologists don't even think to test for casein.  =
One=20
> sent my daughter away, after a lactose test, saying "sure - drink all =
the=20
> milk you want!".  She was very wrong.
>=20
> Casein is the protein found in all mammalian milk.  Whey is a =
concentrated=20
> form of casein.  Milk, Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Milk Chocolate all =
contain=20
> it.  Cows milk, goats milk, human milk all contain it.
>=20
> Lactose is a specific sugar that is found in milk.  It is slightly =
sweet=20
> tasting, and breaks down in the intestine to glucose.  Some people =
can't=20
> digest it."
"my daughter Marni has no problem with lactose, but is =
wildly=20
> casein intolerant.  She is also a celiac.  She also is intolerant to=20
> soy.  Most gastroenterologists don't even think to test for casein.  =
One=20
> sent my daughter away, after a lactose test, saying "sure - drink all =
the=20
> milk you want!".  She was very wrong.
>=20
> Casein is the protein found in all mammalian milk.  Whey is a =
concentrated=20
> form of casein.  Milk, Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Milk Chocolate all =
contain=20
> it.  Cows milk, goats milk, human milk all contain it.
>=20
> Lactose is a specific sugar that is found in milk.  It is slightly =
sweet=20
> tasting, and breaks down in the intestine to glucose.  Some people =
can't=20
> digest it."
"> Lactose is sugar. Casein is a protein. You can be sensitive to one =
and not
> the other!"
"Lactose is the "sugar" and casein is the "protein".  I know that we =
digest
the lactose from the tip of the villi, so if it is damaged, it would =
make
sense that some can't eat it."
"Lactose is the sugar in milk. Those intolerant lack an enzyme to digest =
the sugar (causing gas/bloating etc.) Casein is the protein in milk. =
Those sensitive to milk protein are considered allergic to milk and =
symptoms will often be related to allergies - sinus headache, skin rash =
etc.=20

Whey contains a lot of lactose, by the way. It can be problematic for =
anyone who has difficulty digesting milk sugar. There are enzymes =
available over the counter to help the body digest milk sugar. Here in =
the US, Lactaid Ultra is a gluten-free enzyme tablet that works very =
well."
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
THE END!

For anyone who has been reading all my responses, you may be pleased to =
hear this is the final one! Phew, it is a BIG responsibility when you =
get a lot of people responding to pass on the information, but I think I =
have managed it.

Happy New Year to all Listmates!

Regards

Carole