From:
steeplechase19 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
steeplechase19 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 06:47:55 -0500

My question to the list was about chondromalacia and if this disorder of the knee was influenced or related to malabsorption.

The responses were about equally divided.  Some people stated that chondromalacia (and osteomalacia) have been listed as a "celiac symptom" but no one forwarded a reference and I was not able to locate any.
My Merck Manual states that "cartilage under the kneecap may soften because of unexplained degeneration or minor injury resulting from misalignment of the knee cap.
It was the "unexplained degeneration" that prompted my question.
There seems to be a lack of consenses re/the cause and treatment of osteomalacia and if it is the same as a condition known as Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome.
One woman responded that a doctor she knew said there is no relationship to diet and that it is not a "softening" of cartilage but is solely the result of injury to the patella.
Only one person had been diagnosed with chondromalacia and did not have osteoporosis

Respondents had found Chondromalacia was helped by:
1.  A gluten free diet (possibly also being casein-free)
2.  Avoiding stress to the knees
3.  Increasing calcium intake and possibly magnesium
4.  Orthotics

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.  I hope I have summarized personally to everyone who asked me to.  I found no specific relationship between malabsorption and chondromalacia and perhaps no specific definition of what chondromalacia actually is.
Carol