C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:32:17 -0400
Kendall,
    There is also a psychological defense mechanism known as identification
with the aggressor.  This happens when a person who has been subjected to
prejudice or oppression develops the belief that the bad things which his
oppressors say about him are true and that the oppressive conditions to
which he is subjected are justified and appropriate. Thus, the man you know
may be prejudiced against other people with disabilities because he has been
subjected to so much disability based discrimination himself that he now
believes that he and other people with disabilities are inferior and deserve
to be treated accordingly.
Susan