From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 08:41:06 -0800
On 10 Jan 2003, at 13:42, Ian wrote:

> A customer has an old IBM 330-P75 machine, running W98, which has a P75,
> 80ram and I think the HDD is about 2Gb. The modem is external.

  I would be pleasantly surprised to find a hard drive over about 800 MB on
a system where the rest of the hardware is this old.  Not to say it couldn't
happen, just that I wouldn't expect it.

  There are a number of "server" functions where the requirements for CPU,
RAM and/or drive space are quite modest.  I think, though, that a database
(even a small one) and a user interface/web site are likely to stress these
requirements, and while it could be instructive to try and make it work on
this hardware, you and your customer should be prepared for the possibility
that it will require a bit more.

David Gillett