From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:34:46 -0800
Hi Howard,

I would start with putting in a different NIC on the XP machine.  Did you
make sure the one you got was on the hardware compatibility list (HCL)?
I've had the exact same trouble before.  The machines couldn't see each
other in Windows, but I could ping between them.  Every time it's happened,
installing a new NIC fixed the problem.  It's a cheap test (you can get a
USB NIC for around $10), or better yet, borrow one from a friend.

Kyle Elmblade
Computers are a more fun way to do the same work you'd have to do without
them.