From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 21:54:23 -0800
Normally, I would never recommend a server be set up on such an old and low
powered machine.  However, there are some details you left out that could be
relevant.  For instance, how would the users connect to this server?  Would
they connect directly via modem or on an ethernet network?  How often would
they need to connect?

If they are connection via the modem and only a single user would be able to
access the machine at one time, I would say it would handle what you are
talking about without too much trouble.  If they are each going to be
connected via an ethernet network, you need to take into consideration that
"technically" you can only have 10 computers connected at one time on a
peer-to-peer network.  Personally, I've never tested this limitation, so I
don't know the realities of it.

If you wanted to do things properly, you would put a server operating system
on the machine.  While you could put either Windows NT 4.0 or 2000 Server on
the computer, it would be ghastly slow.  Installing it would require the
better part of a weekend, as well as a few dollars out of pocket to do it
legally.  You would also need to purchase client licenses for each machine
that would be connecting to it.  At this point, of course, we are talking
about a rather ungainly setup.  As a previous poster suggested, at that
point I would install Linux.

If this is going to be a single connection, light use server, leave it as it
is, clean up all the unnecessary applications, then set up a regular backup
schedule.  If there is more involved, try giving us a few more details on
how much it will be used, the way they will be accessing the system, and
what kind of application needs to be supported.

Regards,

Kyle Elmblade