From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 00:34:32 -0800
On 4 Dec 2002, at 16:54, Frederick Navarro wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anyone know if Windows 2000 Server/Advanced server have any
> utilities which will monitor the urls or sites being surfed or visited by
> the users connected to it?  We are currently using the Windows 2000 as our
> main router without any other routing programs (i.e. Wingate, etc) and we
> want to know what site is being accessed by user a, user b by either
> viewing a log file or simply a window will display the sites.  Thanks!!!
>
> Frederick

  I don't believe that 2000 will do this *just as a router*.  There's an add-
on product for 2000 Server, called ISA (Internet Security and Acceleration)
which functions as a web proxy, and it is very likely that it can provide
the information you want, either natively or through some additional third-
party utility.

  URLs are handled at a higher level in the protocol "stack" than routing
decisions, and in some cases a single URL may be split amongst several
packet fragments.  Only something which reassembles fragmented datagrams and
looks at higher-level content can do what you want, and in general routers
don't need to expend that kind of effort.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com