From:
Ben Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:43:55 -0500
Have you tried another monitor?  There is something in the way WinXP
implements video drivers that makes a dark monitor even darker. I just went
through this with a Mitsubishi 2060u.  With Win2000 the monitor was fine.
The brightness adjustment on the monitor was turned way up but it was
acceptable. When I upgraded to XP, it was no longer acceptable and monitor
adjustments wouldn't increase the brightness to a usable level. I used
Powerstrip from Entech http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ for a while and it did a
much better job of adjusting brightness than the Nvidia drivers.  Finally, I
decided that a top of the line monitor shouldn't have that problem and I
exchanged it under warranty.  The new monitor has no problems at all.

Ben Moore