From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:10:58 +0100
As one
>geriatrician says in the article by Mary Duenwald, "It's very possible that
>the 100-year-olds in Nova Scotia have some genetic factor that has protected
>them."=20
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>----
>Abstract of an article by Mary Duenwald, originally published in the January
>2003 issue of Smithsonian. All rights reserved. =20

I find this quite bizarre. Why would Nova Scotia a counry with such a diverse
range of peoples show a strong genetic factor. European and Highland Scottish
immigration to NS is only about 200 hundred years old. Prior to that it was
populated by the indigenous indians. The Scottish Highlanders who populated a
lot of Nova Scotia in the 19th century (and in which areas are said to be more
Highland than the Highlands today) have long been renowned for longevity eg.
Betty Cooper shows Scottish origin, but the names Hildred Shupe, Cora Romans,
and Elizabeth Slauenwhite show a much wider European connection. I think it
has much more to do with life style than genetics. OR maybe only the very
strong made the crossings in those awful emigration ships they had to travel
in. Just thinking aloud.

fran