From:
Michelle Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:39:45 -0500
> Celiac disease more common than thought

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=594&ncid=594&e=6&u=/nm/20030
618/hl_nm/celiac_disease_dc

> It might be added that the Finnish, my neighbours in the world have had
> agriculture for about 2.000 years. Their language, and presumably they
> themselves originate from a part of central Russia, farely far north so
they
> may have been hunters not so far off in time. They are also much afflicted
> by diabetes I.
> Eva

Part of my ancestry is Scandinavian (we're not entirely sure which country
as my great grandfather was an orphan), and 2 out of 6 of my cousins
developed type I diabetes in the middle of puberty.  No celiac disease
that's known, but who knows, I may have a mild, undiagnosed form.  Also, my
dad's sister on that side of the family got a very rapidly progressing form
of leukemia, and died within 2 weeks of the diagnosis.  With those odds, my
yet-to-be-conceived children will NOT be eating grains, as much as I can
help it.