From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:32:02 -0500
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>my point is I wish to challenge this oft-quoted but seldom thought-out
>position.  brain cell depletion may arise from several functions including
>oxidation, calcium influx, other kinds of excitotoxicty, and nutritional
>deprivation.
>
>many alcoholics cetainly show the last. but they should eat more, and not
>drink INSTEAD of eating.

I should have added "I'm not sure" to my statement about alcohol and brain
cell depletion. I'm glad you questioned it. I had both heard and read it
from several sources but I had never investigated the background of this
claim.

According to Roberta J. Pentney, Ph.D., professor of anatomy and cell
biology at the University at Buffalo, a
lcohol does not kill brain cells.
She claims that it slows down the signal traffic between neurons by
damaging dentrites. "It's mostly reversible, but neuronal structure is
changed in the process.", she says. An article can be found at the news
section of the website of the University of Buffalo at www.buffalo.edu. I
used the keywords "brain" and "alcohol".

I agree that it's important to not just drink but eat proper food as well.
Especially thiamin is important, as you probably know, since it's necessary
for the metabolism of alcohol. There's way too little thiamin in e.g. red
table wine, I think.

Fredrik