From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:48:54 -0700
I wonder if this topic has been taken up before, but
it's something I think is worth considering. I assume
that the vast majority of people on the list are, like
myself, living in the industrialized "North." However,
it seems pretty clear that the bad effects of a modern
diet, especially a grain-based diet, are very strong
for people living in the "South" as well. Most people
in the advanced countries don't have problems with
nutritional deficiency, because we eat a lot of rich
foods, but there are lots of people in the Third World
who have vitamin deficiencies directly caused by the
consumption of grains, i.e. vitamin A deficiency, B12
deficiency. The problem is that though we generally
have a choice, because we can go down to the
supermarket and, for not much of an extra premium, get
food that is relatively close to a "paleo ideal,"
people in poor countries obviously don't have that
luxury. I wonder if there's anything we can do about
this contradiction. Perhaps setting up an
"international paleo assistance program" would be the
answer, but it would require a lot of funds, etc.