From:
Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:09:49 +1030
I'm somewhat behind in reading my posts.

At 1.1.03 02:39 AM -0500, Keith wrote:
 >I have heard that the tinned salmon which has 'Alaska' stamped on the top
 >of the can is not farmed.  Yesterday I was delighted to receive the
 >following advice from the importer of this product:
 >
 >" ... the salmon is all caught in the ocean,
 >it is not farmed and the high cooking temperature
 >during the canning process contributes
 >to the softening of the bones."
 >
 >Australian subscribers to the Paleofood list may like to know that this
 >product is widely available here through the Coles chain of supermarkets.

Just to clarify this -

I had a look at Woolworths today and noticed 4 different brands of pink
and/or red salmon that had 'Alaska' stamped somewhere on the top. This was
not necessarily consistent across all varieties and sizes within the same
brand. Other tins just had 'USA' or 'Canada', or nothing specific at all.

Are you suggesting that _all_ tinned salmon marked 'Alaska' is wild-caught,
or is it necessary to check out each brand individually?

On another note - red salmon appears to be about twice as expensive as pink
salmon. Is it better in some way, or not worth the extra cost?

Thanks,
Barbara