From:
Aria Nadii <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:58:16 -0500
If I suspected a fracture of some kind, I would see a doctor...preferably
a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon just because it might need to be set
in order to heal correctly. Jones fractures are very common foot injuries
from falling and twisting the foot. In most cases drugs or surgery are not
prescribed and they are never mandatory. Even when you break a bone
nowadays they usually just recommend aspirin. I have broken two major
bones and had a minor fracture in my foot in the past few years. Doctors
have not pushed drugs or surgery on me for these injuries.

I had the fracture set correctly and was advised to rest and elevate the
foot and alternate hot and cold packs of ice. I was not given a painkiller
or drugs of any kind and would not have taken it. I was given a very nifty
walking boot which made it possible to run all around without pain while
my foot healed correctly. Doctors can be useful. We need not be afraid
of doctors in order not to be ruled by their opinions. The doctors can only
advise drugs or surgery. They can't really push them or force them on us.
I happen to think that feet and hands are important enough to at least get
a professional opinion and rule out a fracture or a break.