From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 23:22:08 -0700
Scientists in many fields have run into this problem in trying to use thermodynamics to predict
results in complex chaotic systems.  If calories alone determined weight, people in the frozen
hinterlands (anywhere north of Texas) would be much thiner than people in more humane conditions
simply because of the added energy needed simply to stay alive. This is obviously not the case!
Likewise people eating high calorie diets should weigh more than those who eat less.  Large scale
studies have shown that this is also not the case.

Part of the explaination lies in the increased metabolic energy experenced by those eating a
"Natural" diet.  This metabolic rate is determined in large part by the endocrine system
(hormones such as insulin,estrogen,testosterone,etc.) but is also influenced by the immune
system.  Most immune system responces slow the body's metobolic rate as it takes extra energy to
produce an immune response. Thus even a minor cold makes you feel a lack of energy as the body
reserves more energy to fight the infection. This run-down feeling is often the first sign of
infection.  After eating a meal heavy in un-natural foods, most people are ready to take a nap as
the body has been trigered to expect a fight with some alien pathogen or parasite.  This effect
increases after a threshold of exposure has been reached (much like allergic response).  After
years of eating the same diet, sudenly you start adding pounds.

It takes a rather dramatic increase in metabolic rate to be noticable.  This increase in energy
over 24 hours a day will result in many more calories burned even if you never get off the sofa!
When you do get off the couch, the added spring in your step makes any activity more anabolic by
making your muscles work harder than before.  Anabolic exercise (ie short bouts of using muscles
hard)uses less energy during its execution than does aerobic exercise (ie longer bouts of using
musles lightly) but results in more energy consumed later as strained muscles repair themselves
and add more tissue.  Thus without exercising any more than usual you burn far more calories and
add more muscle mass.  Art Devanney's new book "Evolutionary Fitness"(due late 97) addresses
utalizing this principle in a total diet and exercise program. He eats about 4,000 calories a day
and works out about 2 hours per week, resulting in a body of over 200 lbs with about 5% body fat
Unless you want to look like Arnold Swartzeneger (as the 52 year old Art does) normal activies
will sufice.  I really eat as outlined in my book and am the laziest man in Dallas, Texas (ask my
wife) I'm 45 years old,6 feet tall and weight 145.  I have excelent muscle definition and tone in
spite of my couch potato lifestyle (I look like I work out).  I also have about 5% body fat as
does my co-author Troy Gilchrist (NeanderThin 7 years).

The more calories you eat when eating a natural diet, the more this effect. Eating too little
will actually slow your progress!

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander

 eat as much as you want of those foods which are acceptable."