C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 07:03:57 -0400
My mother told me the same thing, not that I wanted to have kids that young,
anyway.  I remember when a high school classmate got pregnant, my reaction
was pity.  I knew she'd be tied down with the baby and not be able to do the
things she wanted to.  The shocker was when we found out who the father of
the baby was -  her minister.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) he was single
and so married her.  I don't know if they're still married but I recall he
had to leave his church and go elsewhere.  It created a big stir in a small
town.

Every time I've had a relationship, I've used birth control and have
insisted my partner use condoms.  They may grumble about it, but I don't
care.  I've actually had one guy leave because of that; I figured he was no
loss.  Any guy who doesn't respect your wishes not to get pregnant or not to
get a STD isn't worth keeping, anyway.

I see friends cope with teenagers and the way they are these days convinces
me I did right by not having kids.  I don't have the energy or resources.
My parents were older than the norm (my mother was 35 when she had me and my
dad, 40 and I'm the eldest of 3 sisters), and since they were both in poor
health, they couldn't have helped at all. I have no desire to go it alone
with a child.

Kat