C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:50:13 -0400
I remember when I was a student at an elementary school for physically
disabled children in Los Angeles, they added some classes for
mentally-retarded students when I was in the fifth grade.  However the two
groups didn't mix at all, and whenever one of them would wander over into
our "territory"  on the playground, they would be run off.  They usually sat
apart from the others on the bus and I don't recall even seeing them at
school assemblies (but they may have been and I just don't remember. Kids
can be quite cruel.

As a grad student in Antrhopology, I can tell you just about every culture
has its pecking order and every subculture has the same.  It's universal.
It may be more subtle and/or more open in some than in others but it's there
 all the same.  And it's not neccessarily based on money or education, or
disability but on the perception of status and one's place in the scheme of
things.

Kat