C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:52:55 -0400
 Done a lot of thinking about this issue over the weekend; thinking about my
own experiences and those of other PWDs I've had the opportunity to discuss
the merits amd pitfalls of marriage.

One thing is clear for those of us with spastic CP:  What we were told--that
CP is not "degenerative" is likely what we told our "spouses to be".  Now
that the secondary symptoms are becoming reality, the AB spouse is confonted
with feelings of being somehow "cheated", or worse, "you are making these
symptoms up in order to elicit sympathy, etc."

With that in mind, I think that marriage between two PWDs might be an
ideal...in some respects.  I think I've made my feelings clear on the
pitfalls of having children and also having a disability.

Any PWD "searching" for a mate can seriously put their emotional life in
stormy seas for the long term if they are not absolutely certain that their
potential spouse is not completely commited to the vow "in sickness and
health."  Ours is the "me" culture, and once the years tick away and the AB
spouse realizes that their disabled mate is not capable of "keeping their
end of the bargain", the love boat could easily be wrecked on the reefs of
unmet expectations.

-Kyle