AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:56:57 -0500
Vera,

This tragic story speaks of the inclination of human nature as we know it, i.e., the tendencies of what the Bible calls the natural, unregenerate man.  Left to his/her own device, each person will go after self-serving pursuits, not seeking after that which pleases God.

Bad and tragic as the report of rapes and victimization of the girls on Pitcairn is, I don't quite agree with the author that metropolitan or large city living is the way to go.  While isolationism is not a panacea for evil behavior, the corrupting influence of Western society is greatest in the so-called civilized societies.

Before closing, I have a few questions though: Who conducted the trials on Pitcairn (it's not clear from the Op-Ed)?  If it was by the inhibitants, why did it take so long (presumably, over 40 years) for justice to be rendered to the victims?

- Wilmot