AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Marie Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 05:40:53 +0600
All POWER TO THEM!  It is about time because in this part of the world,
dowry can easily be a life and death business.  In Bangladesh, women are
killed every day because they couldn't pay dowry or are behind in payment.
Oh yeah, they have installment payment terms here too for dowry.  Some
people are so poor that they can't afford to pay dowry for their children at
the time of marriage so they arrange to pay it by installment.  A whole
family can be wiped out, even years later after marriage, because they fell
behind in payment or just could not come up with the money.

"Why do people do this" I hear you ask?  Because marriage is the essence of
a woman in Bangladesh, like in most third world countries, but even more so
here.  If you are 20 years old and not married, you are pressured from all
sides because you become a big embarrassment to your family and you are made
to feel worthless.  Arranged marriages are still 99.9% of the norm, even at
the objection of the bride.

If you haven't figured it out by now, Bangladesh is a predominantly Muslim
country so IT IS A MAN'S WORLD out here.  Suicide is rampant for women who
want out of a pending marriage or one they are in already.  Fortunately,
things are changing, even though they are changing at a snail's pace.  The
younger generation are becoming financially independent so they are starting
to dictate their terms.

Financial independence is the key because education cannot do it.  There are
women here with university degrees, at all levels, but their plight is the
same as those without education.  It only makes a difference if they have
jobs.

Ann Marie