Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Kirk A. Kleinschmidt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:34:40 -0500
Mark and the Gang:

It's been my experience that pretty much ANY meal of at least "normal" size
will cause a blood sugar spike. I think this is pretty much normal for the
species.

The problem -- as I understand it through my Type II experiences -- is when
that spike takes too long to return to normal levels...or if too much
insulin is required to achieve blood sugar control.

On a low-carb, "mostly paleo" diet, my fasting levels run about 140. After
a meal they hit 200-220, and two hours later, they're back at 140.

I haven't tested individual foods, although my curious nature would like
too if I had a pile of strips laying around!

I'm taking Metformin to help with the sugar control. My doctor says that
when I've lost sufficient weight, the meds won't be necessary (my
experience confirms this). If I go off a low-carb diet, all hell breaks loose!

Good luck.  Go with the Freestyle meter if you decide to proceed. You won't
regret it!

--Kirk in Minnesota

P.S.   I just read that Metformin is the first drug to produce the "gene
expression" that life-extension researchers associate with extended life
spans in mammals. The only other way to achieve this is via the CRAN method
(Calorie Reduction with Adequate Nutrition). Feeding mammals high-quality
food at 80% of the recommended calorie intake levels extends the life of
almost all tested individuals...but probably isn't much fun! Metformin --
which gives you a bit of lower GI hassle for the first couple of weeks --
has low / no known toxicity and may be an interesting alternative!

re: