Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:46:54 -0500
From: "Eva Hedin"
> How do you know the difference between gain weight and hormonal gain
weight?

Because everything was swinging along fine and weight was stable until I
went off my compounded, bio-identical/"natural" hormones.  Then the weight
started creeping up.  *But* just about the same time, I also had some stress
crop up re: my elderly father and my brother's bad health.    No doubt those
events caused some elevated cortisol, but should it still be elevated since
the stress has resolved?   There's a known connection between elevated
cortisol and weight gain.  And have read that cortisol increases the
appetite.

 > I think that people in general walk too little. Not that walking cost so
> very many calories but it seems to pacify anxiety and probably hunger is a
> kind of anxiety. Less carbs may be a way to go. Less nuts and fruit,
> especially dried fruit.

<G> I put a lot of miles on shoes.  In fact, just got a new pair of
racewalking shoes yesterday because the others have gone flat.  Will be
doing a *major* hike this weekend at the Buffalo National River, from the
top of the mountain down down and then back up again.  Also attend an
exercise class and lift weights 3x week.  Generally have a very low-stress
life.  The amount of exercise I get is pretty steady year round.  Haven't
upped anything to account for the increased appetite/hunger.  But I get
ravenously hungry in the evenings to the point that I'm totally distracted
by it....and can't resist.  And I recognize it as carb hunger. I think
there's something bio-chemical going on with my hormones and I'm trying to
self-medicate via food.

I do eat lots of walnuts.  Lots of cals, I know, but I've eaten them all
along during my paleo year and had never gained weight from them until my
hormones conspired against me.  Have increased my fruit consumption in the
last month since locally-grown and wild berries started ripening.  Don't eat
dried fruit at all.

Theola