Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:52:54 EST

hopefully this won't be too late for your Thanksgiving cooking.

My basic GF flour recipe:  2 cups rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 1/2
tapioca.   I substitute this for just about any recipe I come across.
GUAR/XANTHAN gum:  1 teaspoon for every cup of GF flour.  (I copy the
chocolate chip recipe off the package substituting the flour and adding the
"gum".....this has worked for just about every recipe I have ever found in
any cookbook.)  May be less for Cakes, and I don't use gum when I make
Pancakes.

PieCrust:
1/2 c tapioca flour         1/2 c (1 stick) Margarine
1/2 c cornstarch            1/2 c Butter-flavor Crisco
1/4 c potato starch flour       1 egg, cold
1 c sweet rice flour            1 T GF vinegar
1 rounded teas. guar gum        4 T ice water
1/2 teas salt               Sweet rice flour for rolling
Dash sugar (optional)
(Xanthan gum can be used instead of Guar gum)

Blend together the flours, gum, salt, and sugar.  Cut in the cold margarine
and Crisco in small dabs until you have shortening the size of lima beans
(not cornmeal).
    Beat the egg using a fork; add the vinegar and ice water.  Stir into the
flour mixture, forming a ball.  You may knead this a bit, since rice flour
crusts can stand handling.  Refrigerate the dough an hour or more to chill.
(I chill mine overnight.)
    Divide dough and roll out on a sweet rice-flour board (or on floured
plastic wrap, for easier handling).  Place in a pie tin.  If using plastic
wrap, invert the dough into the pan, shape before removing the plastic.  Bake
as directed for the filling used.
    For a baked crust, prick the pastry with a fork on sides and bottom.
Bake the crust in a preheated 450* oven for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly
browned.  Cool before filling.  Makes enough for a 2-crust 9" pie, + 1 pie
shell.

Carrot Cake:         335*  1+1/4 hours

2-1/2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
Dash salt
2 cups sugar
2 teas. Baking Powder
1 teas. Baking Soda
3 teas. Cinnamon
4 eggs
2 cans/jars carrots (14-1/2oz. Drain & Save juice)
3/4 Cup oil
3/4 cup carrot juice
1/2 cup chopped nuts (never tried it with nuts)

Throw everything in a bowl and beat for a good 5+ minutes with electric
mixer.
Bake in BUNDT pan…. This is a large cake.
For frosting I mix Cool-whip and Cream cheese… Or… dribble with favorite
frosting…Or…. just sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.

martha, in NM