From:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:17:06 -0500

Thanks very much to all who offered suggestions.  I'm summarizing now
because I'm about to leave on my trip, and some others also needed the info.
now.  ~Erin

Thai—  Crystal Thai on Arlington Blve. (Rte. 50).  It's excellent and
you can communicate that you need gluten free food--as much of Thai food is.

Indian—  Dehli Dhaba at Courthouse.  Most food should be okay, except for
the naan (bread).

WE really like Rio Grande at Ballston, and the last time we were there and
double checking on the corn tortillas, the manager said, do you have a
gluten intolerance? (!)  There are any number of things one can order safely
there.  Another choice in that area is Tara Thai. Both are on Fairfax drive,
within blocks of Ballston Metro.

Austin Grill has a gluten free menu.  It's a chain in the area.  You can get
the menu and locations at their website.  www.austingrill.com  I ate at one
Saturday night and it was delicious and had no problems.  There are Austin
Grills in Alexandria (801 King Street, Old Town
Alexandria, VA 22314 (703) 684-8969) and Bethesda (7278 Woodmont Ave (301)
656-1366).  Their gluten free menu is available online at
<http://www.austingrill.com/ag/homepage.html>.

Tex-Mex— If you like tex-mex, there are Chipotles in both Rosslyn (1735 N.
Lynn Street Rosslyn, VA 22209 703-294-6669) and Arlington (2231 Crystal
Drive, Suite 100 703-920-8779).  I love them for lunch.  Anything but their
flour tortillas and hot salsa (which includes vinegar, so may be
questionable for you) are gluten free.

French— In Alexandria, there is a WONDERFUL restaurant called Chez Andre.
It is somewhat near Crystal City/Alexandria so not that far from Arlington
(where I live).  The telephone number is 703-836-1404 and the address is 10
EAST Glebe Road.  Note that there is also a West Glebe and a Glebe Road so
be sure to call for directions!  It is a small French restaurant, good
prices,
good ambiance, and they listen to you.  I usually get the filet mignon with
bearnaise and an artichoke heart on top but ask that it not be served on
toast.  Never had a problem with the pomme frits (but you can substitute).
It is a fabulous restaurant and a real "find" for Washingtonians.  Most
people don't know about it and it is a treasure.  You would need a car to
get there.  It isn't far from the Target in Crystal City.  I live in
Arlington (not known for its fine cuisine).  There are several
Asian/Vietnamese restaurants in the area that would have gf foods.  They are
close to Rosalyn at Ballston.