From:
Herman Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herman Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 07:28:17 -0600

Through research I have come across almond flour.  It is used as a very low carbohydrate in place of wheat for those diets that have to watch their sugar.  Weight Watchers uses this ingredient as well.  I want to know if anyone has used this in bread?  I want to and their are a lot of recipes written just for this flour.  It is said not to have a nut taste.  Here is a recipe off of the internet:

Pound cake

1 cup butter ( or substitute)
1 cup Splenda
5 eggs at room temp.
2 cups almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugar together.  Beat in one egg at a time. Mix in dry ingredients.  Add extracts.  Bake in a greased pan at 350 degrees for 50 min.

Also when I was in the Korean market I came across acorn starch and I got some to try. I was wanting a pound cake and used what I had.  It needed cake flour, so here is one of my versions of cake flour:

3 cups rice flour
3 cups corn starch (or sweet rice flour if you can't have corn)
2 cups acorn starch
1 cup potato starch
3 Tbs potato flour

Here is the pound cake recipe:

2 cups cake flour mix
5 eggs or substitute
1/2 pound butter or substitute
1 2/3cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in one egg at a time. Add other ingredients and mix.  Bake in greased pan, I used a bunt pan and it was cute, at 325 degrees for 40 - 50 min.

It came out great.  My neighbor couldn't tell it was gf.  She thought I baked her a wheat cake! If you try I hope it turns out great as well. God Bless Kristine