From:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:28:11 -0500

Hello,

I think I got about 50 responses to my question-- thank you very much for
the help.   About 2/3 of people who responded said they or their children,
some of whom are very sensitive to gluten, had been eating Kellogg's Corn
Pops for months to years and have never had a problem.

About 1/3 of respondents said they did have reactions, and many people had
tried more than once with the same result.

One person had trouble only if he/she ate more than one bowl.

One person suggested that the problem might be with corn or sugar.  Corn
Pops do have a lot of sugar.

One person said some people have found pieces of other gluten-containing
cereals in Corn Pops, so it shouldn't be trusted.

One person said that responses are probably variable because contamination
varies from batch to batch.  Although they clean equipment between cereals,
they make Corn Pops on the same line with gluten-containing cereals and
won't guarantee it's gluten-free.  I verified this with the company last
week (01/2003).

Many people recommended alternatives-- Malt-O-Meal Corn Bursts,
Malt-O-Meal's version of cocoa or fruity pebbles, Gorilla Munch, GF rice
chex subsitute, GF corn flakes.  I tried Panda Munch; it tastes like Peanut
Butter Captain Crunch but better (not as sweet), and it's good enough to eat
dry as a snack.  I am not claiming that the Malt-O-Meal cereals are
gluten-free-- these were suggested by others and I haven't verified.  The
others say "gluten free" on the box.

I was looking for food I could buy on the road.  The Malt-O-Meal cereals are
easy to find, but the others seem to be harder to find, particularly in
rural areas without health food stores.  I found the specialty GF cereals at
Wegman's and at Wild Oats, but they cost a lot more than the Malt-O-Meal
cereals.

Thanks again,
Erin