From:
Susan Alintoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:58:36 EST

Hello Listees,

In December I posted a question looking for restaurants in NYC on the upper
east side, that people had good experiences with. I posted a summary then,
but more responses continued to come in, so here are the rest of them. Please
note, I have NOT been to any of these restaurants myself; these are all
recommendations from other people on this list: {my comments appear in these
brackets}

Make sure you have veratrum alb 30c with you just in case....can get in health
food stores in NYC.

 My fav restaurant is an Irish Pub on w46 St just east of Times Sq..called
O'lunneys....they understand celiac.  46 ST W of Fifth Ave is little
brazil....have had no problems there, esp Ipanema.

If you go to the site, www.silly-yak.com and go to the LINKS page, you will
see a listing if restaurants that are known to be safer for celiacs than
most. I did not see any in your particular area, but the city is so easy to
get around in. I know, I live here. : )
I recommend Gus' Place 149 Waverly Place (6th Ave), NYC 212-645-8511. It is
part of the GF restaurants program and it would be great to support them.
More can be learned about this program at:
<A HREF="http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/Cur/index.shtml">Gluten-Free
Restaurant Awareness Program</A>. {this is a wonderful program with
restaurants in NYC and surrounding suburbs. Participating restaurants have
been educated in procedures for safely preparing GF food and I definitely
recommend supporting them}

     Josies in Midtown tried to convince me that spelt would be o.k. to eat.
{spelt is NOT gf} And they would barely let me have any salt. I know salt
isn't good for most people, but I have low blood pressure and need more, not
less.  They were good about cross contamination, though, I didn't get sick.
Gus's place was great, by Washington Square Park.

Shun Lee 43 West 65th Street, between Central Park West
and Broadway, right near Lincoln Center.
They are excellent at respecting the request for a clean wok
and preparing plain steamed chicken with chinese vegetables,
(or with the white sauce, which is g-f. )
Their plain steamed shrimp with broccoli is also excellent.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.  Hope this might help someone on
a future trip to NY.

Susan in Ct