From:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:15:09 -0500

Hello,

Seeing someone else post a question about malabsorption of drugs made me
wonder if anyone experienced malabsorption of oral birth control
medications?  That could have pretty serious consequences if it happened,
e.g., an unintended pregnancy while a woman is experiencing malnutrition
problems could be bad for both her and the baby.  I guess that would be one
more reason to insist on a correct diagnosis.  My biopsy and blood tests for
tTG both were negative, but I was only ingesting gluten for five days before
the biopsy and less than 2 weeks before the blood tests.  The symptoms
didn't come back until just before the blood test.  I thought about giving
up on further tests and just staying on the gluten-free diet.  However, I'm
concerned that if I do have CD after all, and it's not diagnosed, my doctor
might not monitor me properly later, for example, I wanted to have a child
and needed to be sure that I was absorbing enough nutrients to prevent birth
defects and poor health.  Anyone have any guidance on this issue?

Erin
State College, PA