From:
Susan Alintoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:20:34 EST

Thank you to everyone who responded. Following are the recommendations I
received. We ended up having dinner at the apartment of my stepson and his
wife, but I will definitely keep these restaurant names on hand for future
reference:

Ulrika's on 60th near Park ave is a good place.
So is Jo Jo on 64th near Lexington Ave.
If you want a really good luncheonette try Viand on Madison Ave between 61st
and 62nd. They ahve a great rice pudding.

We had dinner at a restaurant (Chinese) called Chin Chin.  It is pricey but
they were very accommodating.  I do not know the address but it was in the
area you are speaking of and I am sure it is listed in the phone book.  Of
course it is Chinese.  I told them my problem and they suggested dishes that
I could eat which were wonderful.  I had no problem.

If you can afford it and get a reservation- Aureole is superb! Everytime that
I have gone they have been very attentive.

I only know of two that advertise gluten free and both are in the village. I
live in NYC and have mixed results with other restaurants that try hard, but
can't always deliver.

Are you familiar with the Westchester Support Group's Restaurant Awareness
program?  See their site at
http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/Cur/index.shtml

Follow the links and find restaurants in the area.

Well, I can recommend one in the 80's on the East side. I have eaten there a
number of times. It is a Chinese restaurant that is a bit pricey but I have
never gotten sick and they are really nice. It is called Our Place and it is
on 83th and 3th.
I have also eaten at Luke's on about 79th and Third and also have not gotten
sick.
Also a place around that area called Hunters that is nice too.

You can get a gf meal ANYWHERE  in Manhattan!  I've never had a problem...NY
waiters are used to diets and don't blink an eye...just use common sense when
ordering.  Personally, I avoid Italian restaurants and bring my own soy sauce
if we are going to an Asian restaurant....btw Burger Heaven is all over the
place and their stuff is great...there's one on 62 and Lex..right north of
Bloomie's on the West side of Lex

if you jet across the park in a cab to the west side ($5 or less with tip) -
you
will find Josie's
on 74th and Amsterdam. they are extremely health conscious. know what gluten
is
and will recommend what you can have.  i think they even have gluten free
corn-bread (but ask first).
***I'll keep this place in mind for when I'm on the West side