Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:45:24 -0800

Listmates,

Ok, this is what I can provide by way of summary on this topic. The response from our very well-informed group pretty well overwhelmed my meager summarizing ability. Many people reported feeling much better on probiotics, than before they took them. Many also had probiotics recommended by their doctors or naturopaths.

The offerings were in three categories. Health food store probiotic capsules( which need to be kept refrigerated); fermented milk products like kefir and yogurt; and fermented vegetable products like natural sauerkraut, kim-chi, and whatever homemade fermented stuff one might want to try. If one is interested in making fermented milk or vegetables, there are many books and websites with lots of (sometimes conflicting) information. At least with respect to commercial kim-chi, most of what I have been able to track down probably is not all that helpful in a probiotic sense, because the packer essentially just mixed vegetables and salt and stuffed it into jars. It does ferment some in the jar- it fizzes when the lid is removed- but I wouldn't have much confidence in this product as a probiotic. In fairness, the brand that I found out most about, which is local, is not marketed as a probiotic either.

I know that Helios Brand kefir is marketed as a probiotic, is delicious, and in the plain form at least is GF. Also, it's widely available in Puget Sound, including at many Haggen and Top Food stores, as well as PCC, Skagit valley Co-op and many health food stores.

Many different brands of probiotic capsules were suggested. I used up one bottle of HMF Forte, and got immediate results from it. ( I had been having typical celiac bowel symptoms,and within a week they were gone.)  On that basis I feel confident in recommending it to anyone. But going forward, I think I am going to try to stick to the foods. Mainly because I enjoy eating, but not taking pills. I have no idea which type of product is better. Although, as I mentioned in my first post, "natto", I think there may be reasons for any celiac, especially anyone with bone issues,and maybe every woman whether celiac or not, to at least give a shot to natto. I have spread this idea to several women, who say it is weird, it is sticky, etc- but who find reasonably palatable ways to eat it. Flourless chocolate brownies it isn't- I will admit that! It also may be that any probiotic product with B. Subtilis will cause K-2 to be synthesized in the gut. I don't know this- so I will keep up the natto.

Good eating!!

Michael