From:
Barbara C Wojcik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara C Wojcik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 13:04:21 -0600

Thanks! to the more than 25 people who replied to my recipe request.

Many suggested making a white sauce with GF thickener, and adding beef and seasonings to taste; also there are recipes on the Agra cornstarch box and dried beef packages that are recommended.

Here are a few more specific CCB recipes:

CCB

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups of milk
1 4oz. pkg. chipped beef
Salt and pepper to taste

Substitute either
1 tablespoon of cornstarch OR
2 tablespoons of tapioca flour OR
3 tablespoons of arrowroot flour
for the 2 tablespoons of wheat flour in the recipe

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth and
heat until bubbly. Gradually stir in milk and continue stirring to keep
from getting lumpy. The mixture - which is white sauce - willl gradually
thicken. Add the chipped beef (separate the slices) and keep over low
heat about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper as desired. Serve over toast.

CCB 2

1/4 c margarine or butter
1/4 c flour (I'd probably try 1/8 c potato flour, not potato starch)
dash pepper
2 c milk
1-2 packages or jars of chipped beef (there are GF ones)

Melt butter, blend in flour and pepper. Stir in milk. Cook over medium
heat until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat. Cut beef into
shreds and add. Heat through.

CCB 3

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups water
1 jar (5 oz.) chipped dried beef
2 tablespoons minced parsley

Directions:
Cook celery and onions in butter until tender. Blend in flour.
Stir in evaporated milk and water. Cook, stirring, until smooth and
thickened. Add beef. Stir in parsley.

Serve over toast.

CCB 4

Simply make a cream sauce with milk and sweet rice flour ( also known as
"glutinous" flour and sold in the Asian aisle Michiko brand in a one pound
box...best for gravies.) Add a jar of chipped beef and seasonings
desired; simmer to distribute flavor into the cream sauce and enjoy. Use
any recipe for cream sauce and know that you will probably need a little
more of the flour than of wheat flour

CCB 5

You may have to experiment with the flour
substitute you use.

4 oz. chipped beef (I used Buddig) (Buddig is GF)
1/2 C butter
2T chopped onion
3 T flour *
1 C milk
1 C sour cream
1 C shredded Cheddar
1 can (4oz) mushrooms
2 T parsley

Make a white sauce with the flour, butter and milk. Add the
remaining ingredients--sour cream last. Serve over English Muffins.
(well, not in our cases!)

CCB 6

I make it with Pepperidge Farms canned Vichyssoise. I use that for anything that requires a cream sauce.

CCB 7

I use a medium white sauce recipe (Better Homes & Gardens), substituting
half the flour with potato flour(not starch), then add the dried beef. Most
jars of dried beef have recipes on them, also. If you use Bette Hagman's
GF mix, I sub equal amts of mix for flour - I have to add more milk, but
haven't gotten any even amts. This works well on potatoes, also on toast.

CCB 8

Creamed chipped beef is just chipped beef in a white sauce. We make it with
corn starch and if you look on the box you should find a recipe for it. It
is really pretty basic.

1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 cup milk
1 chicken or beef bouillon cube (crumbled)
1 Tbsp. corn starch
1/8 tsp white pepper

Melt butter in saucepan. Add 3/4 cup milk and bouillon cube. Heat slowly to
boiling over low heat until bouillon cube is dissolved. In a separate bowl,
mix together 1/4 cup milk, corn starch and pepper. Using a Wisk slowly add
corn starch mixture to saucepan and bring just to a boil stirring
constantly. Boil gently for an additional 2 minutes. Makes one cup.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my request for recipes. Prior to diagnosis I was not much of a cook - lots of "convenience" foods and short cuts was my usual modus operandi. (I was kind of like the lady on "1940's House" on public TV, if you caught that great show.) Wouldn't know where to purchase dried beef, much less make it into a quality meal! So now I'm making lots of stuff from scratch out of necessity. My family is amazed.

Again thanks to all. This is a wonderful resource. It's nice to know I'm not alone!