From:
Genevieve Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Genevieve Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:23:18 -0700

Thanks to all the people who responded when I asked about stores in the Minneapolis area  I've copied some of the information I received but want to add that The Wedge Co-op is the most amazing store I have ever seen.  They have lists of gluten-free foods that they carry, they have items listed in the deli as being gluten-free and have freshly baked muffins and desserts.  Their bread is wonderful; we brought back as much as the car would hold.  My sister and I each had a basket and felt like kids in a candy store. Sorry I"we been so late with this answer. We also found gluten-free bread, cookies, and mixes in a large supermarket.  We didn't get to any restaurants but I wanted to list them, too.  Thanks, Genevieve
We have great options in Minneapolis.  On Lyndale and
Franklin is the WEDGE Co-op, a health food co-op with
gluten-free baked goods and take-out food, hot and cold, and
a wide variety of other pre-packaged gluten-free goods.
Their take-out and baked goods list
other food issues, too, (dairy-free, soy-free, etc.), .
They even carry some of the Amy's gluten-free frozen foods.
There are also some gluten-free packaged crackers, cookies,
candies and other treats, etc.
For shopping, my favorite co-op is the Wedge (2105 Lyndale Ave S
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55405-3027 (612) 871-3993) - they have a good selection of
gf flours and mixes, and they have gf baked goods, too (baked right there)
- usually a different kind of muffin each day, sometimes zucchini or banana
bread, and usually one or two cakes or cheesecakes They even bake their own
gf bread, which can be found in the bread isle. All of their deli food is
labeled as to whether it is gluten-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, etc, plus
has great ingredient lists. HIGHLY recommended. Since I live two blocks
from the Wedge, I'm there easily 5x/week.
http://www.wedgecoop.com/

 There is a super great store called "Valley Natural Foods".
in Burnsville about 10 min. from Mall of America going south at l3750 County Rd 11
and there is Chipolte, 612-333-0434, for Fast food Mexican - you can eat anything except the
soft tortillas.

Minneapolis:  Boston Market (tel: ?) - Fast Food Family style food -The corn,
roasted chicken, ham, and garlic roasted potatoes; Wendy's: French fries, chili, or baked potatoes and a frosty
Martini Blue, 612-288-8888 (Just ask to be transferred to Martini Blue),
Very hip trendy, moderately priced restaurant, with excellent food!!
Basil's Restaurant, 612-376-7404.  Excellent Food.  I suggest the steak on a
bed of spinach with a wonderful veal reduction sauce and potatoes slices that they will make GF.   The Crème Brule is out of sight!
Good Fellow's, 612-332-4800.  Upscale, small portions but delicious very willing to help.
Palominos, 612-3338-8686.  Very accommodating. Talk to David, the chef, and he will handle your
food only and protect it for you.
Ocean Aire Seafood, 612-333-2277.  THE BEST SEAFOOD IN MINNEAPOLIS. Is pricey but the food is Fantastic,
World Class.  I was there I had Sushi grade Groper and cream style
corn not from a can and a potato dish.
Kansas City area: there is a wonderful store called the
Food Bin off of Shawnee Mission parkway and Quivera.  Also, the HY-Vee
(large chain grocery) has some gluten free breads,
frozen foods, dried pasta, etc.  There are also Wild Oats health food stores that
carry GF foods.
Valley Natural Foods, 13750 County Rd 11, Burnsville MN 55337. Go South on Cedar (77) till you get to McAndrews Rd, then West until you see it. They sell many of flours in bulk, even xanthan gum in bulk and have a good selection. They have flourless peanut butter cookies in their bakery! . Try Greek, The Gardens of Salonica in NE Minneapolis
The King and I is Thai on Nicolett and 11 or 13th, avoid dishes with soy
sauce.  Chino Latino, in uptown, very hip.  Many dishes have no wheat products
Aquavit in downtown Mpls, will make you something if you talk to the Chef.
There are two Sushi restaurants.Try Greek,
There is a chain of restaurants here called Sidneys (one
about 1.5 miles from The Wedge on Hennepin at 24th street)
that is worthwhile because:
1) every dish includes ALL the ingredients on the menu, so
you can see what you're getting and 2) they will make almost
any pasta dish they prepare with rice noodles. Ask for
"fresh water" and they'll be sure to cook and drain it in a
fresh pot. They also have salads and some wonderful
vegetarian soups. This is a moderately priced restaurant
that serves pastas, salads, chicken, a little bit like
bistro-style food, but quite casual; wine and beer are also
served..

Every supermarket has some gluten-free items, mostly a few
flours for baking, ENER-G breads, some baking mixes etc.
In downtown Minneapolis there is a fairly fancy and
expensive vegetarian restaurant called Cafe Brenda. They have several options
that are probably fine for GF diets, since they serve a lot
of veggie soups with beans and NO grains, some salads, fish,
fresh vegetables, etc. They  are very fresh
food/health conscious and are probably willing to tell you
exactly what's in the food. It's a very lovely place, though
pricey, and the food really is exceptional.
   I found in Duluth, MN this past week which I heard of from a friend.  It's called First Oriental Grocery and they are located at 323 E. Superior Street, Duluth, MN  55802.  Phone # is (218) 726-0017.  I went there specifically for their oriental rice flour which I prefer over any other rice flour.  It is so fine it looks like regular flour.  I also bought some rice cookies, various rice noodles and some soup packets similar to a ramen noodle soup, Sidney's (Minneapolis, St Paul, Edina, Minnetonka) is a restaurant which
serves any of its pasta dishes with wheat-free rice noodles when
requested!!! So so so great to be able to go order pasta... Just make sure
that they understand to cook the rice noodles in a separate pot and not in
the big pasta cooker with the wheat pasta. They are very aware of what is
in their food, and definitely willing to get answers to
you.  http://www.sidneysrestaurant.com/

There are Whole Foods Market stores in Minneapolis and St. Paul. See www.wholefoods.com for locations.  I do know though that there are
several Whole Food stores out there.